Charles Hope

Died 1808. He was the son of the Scottish politician Hon. Charles Hope Vere and his second wife Lady Anne Vane, daughter of the 1st Earl of Darlington, and was the brother of Brigadier-General Henry Hope who died in 1789. His parents had divorced in 1757 and his step-brother from his father?s third marriage was Admiral Sir George Johnstone-Hope.

He was commissioned lieutenant on 10 June 1767, promoted commander on 3 June 1776, and after commanding the armed ship Friendship at the unsuccessful attack on Charleston on 28 June 1776 was sent home with despatches. During the autumn of 1777 he commanded the Weasel 16 in home waters and off Africa, contributing with the Camel 24, Commander William Clement Finch, and Druid 16, Commander Peter Carteret, to the salvation of a convoy which was attacked by the rebel frigate Raleigh on 4 September. During the action Commander Carteret lost his life.

He was posted captain on 29 November 1777, joining the Hind 24 and sailing in December for Jamaica. In the autumn of 1779 he commissioned the new Crescent 28, serving off Ireland, Guernsey, and then Lisbon with Commodore George Johnstone?s squadron. In company with the Jupiter 50, Captain Francis Reynolds, and Apollo 32, Captain Philemon Pownall, he assisted in the capture of the French cutters Mutine 14 and Pilote 14 on 2 October 1779.

The Resident Commissioner’s house at Chatham.

In December 1780 he commissioned the new Iphigenia 32 for service in the North Sea, taking the privateer American Union 6 off Flamborough Head on 2 July, and escorting the Baltic convoy to safety prior to the Battle of the Doggersbank on 5 August 1781. He served the last part of the war in command of the Spanish prize Leocadia 36 to which he had had been appointed in November 1781, although she was not available for service until the early spring of 1782, during which time he appears to have continued with the Iphigenia in home waters. Going out to Newfoundland, he took the rebel privateers Viper on 20 May 1782, Lexington on 29 June, and Junius Brutus on 18 August. The Leocadia was paid off in April 1783.

Almost immediately Captain Hope recommissioned the Sampson 64 , which later served as flagship to Vice-Admiral Mark Milbanke at Plymouth from 1785 until paid off in June 1786. During the Dutch Armament in 1787 he commanded the Victory 100 at Portsmouth from 1 October until paid off on 5 December 1787, and during the Spanish Armament of 1790 he briefly commanded the Egmont 74.

He became an ?extra commissioner? of the Navy from July 1794, deputy controller of the Navy from 1796 until January 1801, and then assumed the role of commissioner at Chatham which he held until his death on 10 September 1808.

He married Susan Anne Sawyer, daughter of Admiral Herbert Sawyer and was the father of Admiral Sir Henry Hope, Major Frederick Hope and Captain George Hope of the Navy.